Thursday, December 24, 2009

Finding Melpo


My grandmother (in the picture with my grandfather) was born and grew up in Bozcaada. There is no one else from her family lives here anymore. My grandmother died almost 20 years ago but my mother gave me a name: Melpo. She was my grandmother’s best friend when they were teenagers. I also got another name: Yorgo (no last name). He is supposed to be a local who would know the history.

I was surprised when the owner of our B&B immediately recognized Yorgo and personally took us to his house. Soon after, we were sitting in his living room with him, his wife, and few other family members. Yorgo told us that Melpo was 101, alive, and kicking. She was in Istanbul. Yorgo did not have her phone number but gave us someone else’s who live in the same building with her.

I passed the number to my mother and she already arranged a visit to Melpo next week. It is nice to have a little personal touch to our trip

No comments:

Post a Comment